enhanced by Peter/CXO Wiz4biz 6/13
8. Words. Change a single word in what you say, and you can scare a child to death. One scary word can make a child shake and cry. Change that word back, and the child is fine. Words communicate pictures, energy, emotions, possibilities, and fears. Be careful how you use them.
9. Planning. The greatest value of planning & goal-setting is that it gives you your own life to live. It puts you back in charge. It allows you to focus on what’s most important to you.
10. When we Ask, Listen, because we deserve someone talking to us, and really explaining it to us; From the heart. Loud & strong and with passion and caring.
11. Humanity is required at high levels for Leaders. To be great Leaders, we need to share our humanity and receive our people’s humanity all day.
12. A short or long Life? You were “born” when you woke up, and you’ll “die” when you give up.
13. Spreading Optimism. Every communication from a manager to an employee is an opportunity to instill optimism. Don’t waste that opportunity. A true leader never does.
14. (+) Reinforcement. Behavioral studies continue to show that positive re-inforcement works more than seven times (7x) better than negative (-) criticism to change behaviour.
15. To a good Motivator, the past really has only one purpose – to provide a learning experience for creating the “future”. The past is not used as something to get hung up on, or an excuse for regret, placing blame, nostalgia, personal attacks, or having a defeated attitude.
16. Leadership means leading people into the “future”. Just as a Scout leader leads scouts into the woods, a true leader leads the Team members into the future.
17. What to Focus on. When you talk to members of your team, pay more attention to the end results you want, than the effort to achieve them. When you praise your people, pay attention to results they achieved (that you wanted), not the trying, the effort, or the attempt to do it.
18. Rewards. Dedicate a certain portion of each day to rewarding those people who have accomplished something significant, even if it’s only a verbal reward. Ten minutes at the end of the day; Get on the phone, Send out some Emails. Show them you appreciate them and they’ll show you how great a job they can do.
NOTES: 1) for 20-100 ways to Motivate, get the book, 2) Take-aways & Conclusions = Quotes on Motivation in next section of Premium Content