Authority vs Infuence in Mgt, #2
from What Best Mgrs know & do.com 08 Sept 13 enhanced, Peter.CXO Wiz4biz 5/14
Influential Managers are not afraid to reach out to others – if their involvement in something represents a learning opportunity or can make an important contribution. And influential managers gain that participation, because they have a well-earned reputation as someone you can trust & rely on. The best & most influential managers in my experience have all been good examples of the following important character traits.
1. The Legitimacy of their requests for assistance. They do not waste your time with foolish projects or veiled attempts to lure you into doing their work for them. When they ask, the task matters.
2. The Integrity of their word. You can “trust” these managers to do what they say. These managers always follow through and honor their commitments.
3. Their Commitment to Reciprocity. You can count on their reciprocal assistance when you need and ask for it.
4. Their “demonstrated” Track Record as a Team Player. For them it is always about “us” and not about “me”. And on this score, believe me, others can tell.
5. Their willingness to Share the Credit for Success. These managers have their egos well in check and their concern for the success & well being of others is evident in their actions. They make certain the limelight shines on everybody who deserves it.
6. Their Open Honesty & Comradeship. It is generally fun & rewording to work with these managers. This doesn’t mean they are jovial, fun-loving, or even funny. They may well be pretty tough task masters. But their openness, and obvious commitment to the involvement & success of others, makes you desire being a member of their team.
Silent Survey (anonymous) It might be helpful for all of us — and probably a little humbling — to ask our peers how we stack up, when measured against these key traits. The insight gained, however, would potentially tell us a lot about the degree of influence we are likely to exert over the behavior of others. So do up a Survey & pass it around.
Comments: Are there any Traits you feel are important for a Manager to have more “influence”?