from Managing for Dummies 10/13 enhanced by Peter/CXO Wiz4biz
1. Personal Thank-You – for doing a good job – 1 on 1, in writing or both. Do it timely, often & sincerely.
2. Listen – Make time to hear their complaints, ideas, etc – as much as you need to. Accept the best, then act on them.
3. Performance Feedback – is so important – so they know how they’re doing. Do it at key milestones, often (ie, quarterly), or if there’s a significant change. Be specific in what they’re doing well or not. Support them by providing Resources (ie, Training)
4. Recognize, Reward & Promote – high performers. Deal with low or marginal performers to improve or dismiss. This will also improve the motivation of the high & good performers and make them feel better about the organization.
5. Recognize “most significant” Achievements – in public, for them to serve as a role model.
6. Keep ‘em Informed – how the organization makes or loses $$, new Products or Services, new Ideas, & long-term Strategy (from the Vision). Explain how they fit in.
7. Involve Employees – who would be most affected by the Decision (as applicable), in the Decision-making process. Involvement would result in more commitment to carrying out the Decision.
8. Commitment to Growth – by encouraging Training – inside or outside – that will help them improve their effectiveness & productivity.
9. Mentor them – to help them meet their personal Goals, while achieving the organization’s Goals, by showing them the connection.
10. Ownership of their Process – is important for them to have pride in their work. Recognize good performance. Reward them by giving them more ownership (responsibility) in more processes.
11. A (+) Work Environment is open & trusting + fun. Encourage new ideas, suggestions & initiatives. Encourage taking reasonable risks. Don’t punish failure, but use it as a learning experience to improve.
12. Celebrate Success – of the organization, dept, or individual. Make time for Team & morale-building activities. Be creative & try new ways.
Comments: Is there anything you could add?