Picking a Board Member
Compiled by Peter/CXO Wiz4biz 9/13
Membership on an Organization’s Board carries significant prestige – beyond the average person’s talents & traits. When you’re looking for a Boring, er Bored, no, Board Member, what should you be looking for?
1. Respect & Visibility in the community (local, regional, national or industry), to enhance your brand’s own image & prestige.
2. Insight & Intelligence (a Visionary) to see the big picture & quickly reduce complex problems into manage-able solutions.
3. Complimentary with the other members of the Board – to fill in the gaps where you have voids and/or to add new aspects to your Board.
4. Diversity of Ages & Cultures to bring a more complete under-standing of your product or service, potential customers and how to approach each market (if you plan to go beyond local)
5. Track-Record as a Leader, Founder, Manager in a Startup – who’s done it before, knows what’s important and can make tough decisions from their experience. They know what works & what don’t.
6. Integrity to keep you honest – by playing by the generally accepted rules. What you can do & can’t.
7. Courage of their own Convictions – not indecisive, but objective and tell you the un-distorted truth – even tho’ it’s not good news.
8. Team Player – who will work with Management & other Board Members to ensure you do what it takes, to have the best opportunity for success.
9. Time to Serve – to be there for you when you need them and will devote their energy to help you be successful.
10. Serves, not Uses your Organization. Are they ego-driven? Is it the prestige or perks they want or will they really do the job?
11. Are they Enthusiastic about working with you? or did you have to persuade them? Are they willing & excited to serve? Do they really like your Product or Service? Will they have your best interests at heart? If so, go !!! Go for it. Sign them up !!!
Comments: Any other Factors you use when picking a Board Member?