Compiled by Peter/CXO Wiz4biz 6/13
Employee knowledge is the Resource that will make or break an organization. One of the most important ways of achieving this is thru Training. Before you invest a lot of $$$ in training, take the following steps to assure you get the most out of your expenditure of time & $$.
TRAINING NEEDS ANALYSIS
1. Review your Organization’s guiding principles – Mission, Vision, Core Values, Strategic Plan, etc to assure any training will harmonize with these.
2. Study the Complaints & Requests for additional Capability that you have gotten from Clients/ Customers, Employees, Board Members & others – to determine if there is a training need their (ie, for clarification).
3. Link your Performance Evaluation to Employee Development & Training. Is ther any area that would benefit fm Trng?
4. Ask your Managers/Supervisors – by Email or face-to face: “What training is needed in general & specific training for each employee?
5. Ask your Employees – by Email or face-to face (for Key Employees): “What training is needed in general & specific training is needed?
6. Ask during Exit Interviews – (face-to face): “What do we do right? What needs improving?
7. Career Planning must include the required additional training or development (certificates, degrees, etc), needed for advancement.
8. Get Feedback from Everyone (all of the above) on Everything. Create a Survey to do this. Review it with your managers before using it.
INCREASING the EFFECTIVENESS of your TRAINING
9. Support your Training – as the CEO of your organization. Expect 100% completion of the Survey. After the Survey Results are compiled, get together with your Managers to review, in order to determine what training is needed.
10. Internal or External Training? What are the costs, benefits of each?
– INTERNAL – complete knowledge of your organization’s issues, easier to follow up. Dis-advantages: complacency of using an insider, may bring other issues in or seem to authoritarian, bossy.
– EXTERNAL – broader knowledge of similar organizations (may suggest new ideas), More professional presentation. Good trainers are more respected and followed. More objective, because not involved with organization’s politics.
11. Picking & Training – Internal Trainers. Pick someone who has had training experience or good speaking skills. Besides the knowledge, of the issue trained, have them use Examples so trainees have a better understanding.
[Picking an Outside Trainer, best Length for Training, Evaluating and more – continued in Premium Content]