“It’s not just about the Coffee”, by Howard Behar, xCEO 8/12
compiled by Peter/CXO Wiz4.biz
1. Know Who You Are: Wear one big white Hat. Our success is directly related to our clarity & honesty about who we are, where we want to go, and how we’re going to get there. When organizations are clear about their values, purpose & goals, they find the energy & passion to do great things !!!
2. Know Why You’re Here: Do It because it’s Right. You can’t succeed if you don’t know what you’re trying to accomplish and without everyone being aligned with the goal. Look for purpose & passion in yourself and the people you lead. If they’re not there, do something about it.
3. Think Independently: The Person who does the job, should choose the best way. Let them use their head. Give them their head. People are not “assets,” they are human beings who have the capacity to achieve results beyond what is thought possible. We need to reduce or eliminate “rigid rules” – real or imagined—and encourage the independent thinking of others & ourselves to come up with creative solutions.
4. Build Trust: & Really Care. Caring is not a sign of weakness, but rather a sign of strength, and it can’t be faked — within an organization, with the people we serve, or in the local or global community. Without trust & caring, we’ll never know what could have been possible. Without freedom from fear, we can’t dream and we can’t reach our potential.
5. Listen for the Truth: The Walls Talk. Put the time into listening, even to what’s not said, and amazing results will follow. You’ll know what you’re customers want, you’ll know why the passion is missing from your organization, you’ll learn solutions to problems that have been sitting there waiting to be solved.
6. Be Accountable: Only the Truth is real. No secrets, no lies of omission, no hedging or dodging. Take responsibility and say what needs to be said, with care & respect.
7. Take Action: Think like a Person of Action, Act like a Person of Thought. Find the sweet spot of passion, purpose, & persistence. “It’s all about the people” isn’t an idea, it’s an action. Feel, think, do. Find the balance, then act.
8. Face the Challenge: We Are Human Beings First. Use all these principles to guide you during the hardest times. If the challenge is too big, if you’re stuck, take smaller bites. But remember to put people first, and you’ll find the guidance you need.
9. Practice Leadership: The Big Noise & the Still, Small Voice. Leading can be the noisy, “I want to see action! Get it done!” kind of thing. But don’t ever forget as a leader, you’re also just an ordinary human beings. Don’t let your noise crowd out the truth. Listen to what your people are saying. Gather all the facts you need. Then listen to your Intuition to be the Final Decision maker.
10. Dare to Dream: Say “YES”, the most Powerful Word in the World. Big dreams mean setting big goals, having big hopes, and you’ll have big delights. Take a chance and say “yes” whenever you can and you’ll enjoy all that you are doing more, and help others to do the same. Because you’ve created a spirit of more possibilities !!!
Comments: Is there anything you’d like to add to this? What is your impression of Starbucks?