Complied by Peter/CXO Wiz4.biz 2/13
As a Manager or Owner in an organization made up of human beings, conflict often occurs. You need to develop a Technique to resolve it quickly.
1. Fully Understand the Situation. Listen to the Initiator of the com-plaint and associated persons, to fully understand the situation. If you have any doubts, ask Questions to clarify the situation. Then, para-phrase the key points back to them – to verify – that’s what they meant.
2. Keep Objective, Firm & Fair.
a) You’re the Manager, keep calm – no matter how mis-informed, mad, irrational or mis-understood they are.
b) Just listen. Let them get it all out – including their feelings.
c) Try to analyze whether the complaint is from pain or fear.
d) but Don’t Accept abusive anger
3. Why did it Happen? What was the Root & other Causes? Collect all the facts and think of a solution. What is this resolution trying to accomplish? Make sure you stand up for the Values of your organiza-tion – or change them !!!
4. Discuss possible Resolutions at a Meeting of all affected persons. Discuss consequences of each option. Determine how to prevent conflict from happening in the future.
5. Chose the Solution that has the most support, by the Meeting Attendees and your Mgt Team or you make the final Decision. Strive for a Win-Win solution. Is some compromise needed? Negotiate it – if necessary.
6. Communicate the Decision, but listen to any objection while it is implemented or used. If significant objections, call another meeting. If not, ask when solution will be implemented. Note the date to follow-up, to verify implementation. After in place for awhile, get feed-back, to determine if the solution is effective. Inform all affected persons of the results.
Comment: What do you think of this approach? Any ideas you could add?