from Paul’s Biz Coaching Blog 6/14 enhanced by Peter/CXO Wi4biz
Several years ago top author and marketer Mark Joyner wrote a book called “The Irresistible Offer: How To Sell Your Product or Service in Three Seconds or Less”.
What is the/an Irresistible Offer?
“The Irresistible Offer” has been one of the top selling marketing books since it was published. The premise is simple. Your customers are going to give you about three seconds to make the sale. So do you know what to say in those three seconds?
Old Marketing Methods of the past are losing effectiveness as consumers are getting smarter & smarter and have less & less time. What is needed is a new way of doing business – a method that is simultaneously socially responsible & far more effective than “”old”” marketing.
What are the Elements of the Irresistible Offer?
An “irresistible offer” has three elements:
- High ROI offer – a customer will get more value from owning your product than they would by buying someone else’s product
- A Touchstone – something that quickly explains what you’re selling, how much it costs & why the customer should buy
- Believability – if the offer looks too good to be true, it probably is.
The Irresistible Offer Review
I enjoyed reading The Irresistible Offer very much because Mark Joyner has a special skill for taking complex ideas and making them simple, so that they can be implemented. In fact I like it so much that his ideas on the “Irresistible Offer” have been incorporated into my coaching for developing USPs as part of module 3 on Strategic Positioning.
The Chapters in The Irresistible Offer book are:
- The magic Window
- The Core imperative of business
- The 4 big questions
- What is the Irresistible Offer?
- What is “not” the Irresistible Offer?
- Elements of the Irresistible Offer
- The Great Formula
- Offer Intensifiers – effectively mind control marketing and other persuasion techniques put into context.
- The Offer Continuum
- Great Offers through history
- Word of Mouth from flaming lips – an introduction to “viral” marketing based on the way that viruses spread.
I rate The Irresistible Offer by Mark Joyner as a 4.5 star book which is a “strong buy” recommendation and I have included it in my list of favourite marketing books. The Irresistible Offer helps refocus marketing on selling the steak and not just the sizzle since your aim is to deliver something of great value to Customers which provides a high ROI. That way Customers want to come back and buy again, and are happy to give word of mouth recommendations to others.
Comments: If you have read the book or have used this technique, please share.