fm Entrepreneur.com 06 May 16 + significantly enhanced by Peter/CXO Wiz4biz
I’m obsessed with the stories of why people started their companies. From 2011 to 2013 I read 197 books, dissecting the tech sector, which resulted in my first published book, “Hacking the Valley”. (Silicon Valley) An Overview of the Tech Sector – by Adam Medal, author & entrepreneur. Recently, I created a Facebook group for entrepreneurs that now includes almost 9,000 members. Last week, I posed the question to the group, “What made you start your business and how did you do it?”
Here are the reasons for starting their own companies, from 22 Entrepreneurs:
1. “I complained to a company that wouldn’t fix their problem, so I researched, built & sold them the solution.”
2. I found a problem I was interested in, found other people with the same problem, then kept tweaking his solution until it fit everyone’s problem – by getting lots of feedback.
3. “My clients told me they were tired of making other people rich and they would support me – if I started my own company – so I did.”
4. “I was frustrated by a nagging, everyday problem. It turns out my friends were frustrated as well and they & others really appreciated my solution.
5. “Once I have that burning idea for a business, I could ever forget it. I thought of it by day & dream of it by night, until I made it happen.
6. “I bought something that broke too many times, too quickly, then I set out to make a better one, did and now it’s selling like crazy.”
7. “I heard about a product in Moscow, with origins in Japan, then analyzed it, improved it & sold it in the USA.
8. I talked to lots of people, about what I wanted to do. I found people who were interested in what I wanted to do and pay for it. Then we went ahead and did it. Everything else is logistics & execution.”
9. “I felt like ‘there should be something that exists like this already.’ But it didn’t, so I thought, ‘I’ll make it.’”
10. I was “sick and tired of seeing other people make money off my skills & experience, so I started my own business. I quadrupled my income in a few months.” I self-funded it with my savings & 401(k), so I don’t have to give up any control. It’s all mine !!!
11. I was inspired by identifying the incompetence other businesses had on delivering quality service, so I did a better one myself.
12. “Aero-dynamically the Bumblebee shouldn’t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn’t know that, so it goes on flying anyway. That’s the way you should be when starting your business.”
13. “The most courageous act of living the life you deserve, is listen to others, but think for yourself..”
14. “Life-fulfilling work is never about the money — when you feel true passion for something, you instinctively find ways to nurture it and present it to the world.”
15. “I’ve found Entrepreneurship is living a few years of your life like most people won’t, so that you can spend the rest of your life like most people can’t
16. I validated my idea through Facebook, sub-Reddits and help from other Entrepreneurs.
17. “You can get anything in life, if you are willing to help enough others get what they want – via your product or service”.
18. “If you are going to ask yourself what you want to do with your life, be sure to do something with the answers”.
19. “I succeeded, but I honestly think it is better to be a failure at something you love, than to be a success at something you hate.
20. “If you think that you are going to love something, give it a try. You’re going to kick yourself in the butt for the rest of your life if you don’t.
21. “In the realm of ideas, everything depends on enthusiasm. In the world of success, all rests on perseverance.”
22. “I couldn’t find the rare music I like online. so I created a platform and we’re making money.”
Comment: Join my Meetup group – where we share stories, give advice, provide mentorship and collectively get better at being entrepreneurs. www.Meetup.com/Entrepreneur-733/