from Inc Biz Magazine 20 May 15 enhanced by Mr Wiz4biz
A preposterous suggestion, isn’t it?
What’s even more preposterous is the idea of working more, when you could work less. Many of these tips you may have heard of, but some of them you may not have. And if you’ve seen the tips before, have you applied some of them? Have you truly tried them out in your life and given them a chance?
1. Thing at a Time. How many times have you tried to multi-task, only to discover that you haven’t gotten anything done? Not that I know anything about that though. Single tasking may be one of the most important things you can do to increase your productivity & happiness. When you focus your mind on one thing, it allows you to get into the zone and really tap into the creative genius of your mind.
2. Eliminate Outside Distractions. In order to single task and really increase your productivity, it’s imperative that you eliminate outside “distractions”. This might mean telling your friends, or significant other, to leave you alone for a certain amount of time. If you’re not working from home, you have to train your co-workers to leave you alone so you can get more done, and have more time to relax after that – or find a place where they can’t find you. LoL
3. Do It Now !!! Some people spend their time avoiding their high-value tasks. The tasks that matter most. They pro-crastinate until the deadline is drawing near. I’m sure you’re nothing like this, but just in case you have a friend or two that has trouble with pro-crastination, I recommend you stop thinking and jump into action. Imagine how good you will feel when the task is done. Getting things done is not all about feeling good & motivated, it’s about getting it done. Easier said than done, right? The choice is always yours. Do you want to feel bad pro-crastinating or good having it done? Pro-crastination is not something done unto you. It is something you are doing, so why not pro-crastinate on pro-crastinating until you’re done?
4. Plan. What I’ve found to be highly effective is simply writing down what I’m going to do the next day before I go to bed. A small TO DO list – if you may. I don’t make my To Do list large or complicated. I keep it to two or three high-value tasks. If you’re working in a 9-to-5 job, then you can adapt this process any way you want. Maybe you write down what exactly you will do when you get to the office. It’s up to you to discover what works best for you. Some people may start their day drinking coffee & chatting to their co-workers. But what would happen if you got all of the stuff done right away, chatted, then felt good for the rest of the day?
5. Take Breaks. Your brain can only do so much focused work. That is why it’s so important that you take regular breaks, stretch out, and take a few deep breaths. 5 minutes is usually enough. If you have the opportunity, take a short walk outside and take in some fresh air. It will not only re-invigorate you, but also help keep you focused – when you start working again. It’s not about working 8 hours straight and getting “stuff” done. It’s about doing high-quality work in the least amount of time possible, while keeping it enjoyable.
6. Timing. This is one of my best productivity secrets. I use a software program called Focus Booster App, which works for both Mac & Windows. You can use a regular kitchen timer, or your phone if you like. What’s important is that you work under a mini-deadlines, which in my case is 25 minutes. After each, I take a 5 minute break. Then I do another one. For those 25 minutes, I do nothing but work on one task. No checking Email. No Facebook. Just doing the work. I can play after, but during that time, I get stuff done.
7. Have Fun !!! If you aren’t having fun where you work, then make it fun, or do something else. In the end, it’s up to you. What kind of life do you want to live? Imagine doing what you do now for 5-10 years. What kind of a life would you be living then? Is it one that you want? If not, what are you waiting for? When you love what you do, you’ll be healthier & happier + feel good about it – satisfaction !!!
Comments: What do you think? Is there anything you can add to this?